Traditional or corner sofa ottoman - a very popular, versatile type of upholstered furniture, with a decent combination of performance and aesthetic characteristics. Externally, it looks like a deep and fairly low rest area without armrests, which has one low back.
Classic models do not fold out, but they usually raise the couch, thereby opening access to roomy storage space for pillows, bedding. This is the main difference between the ottoman and the usual beds.
A wide low backless sofa will be appropriate both at home and in the office. During the day - this is a place to relax, accommodate households and guests, and at night it can be used as a comfortable bed.
The main advantages of an ottoman before other furniture
A mini-sofa or a full-size double couch combine the strengths of traditional sofas and beds, so the following operational advantages can be identified:
- profitability - an angular sofa-couch without armrests combines the functions of two elements of furniture at once (this is a sofa for everyday pastime and a bed for sleeping);
- the possibility of harmonious additions to the interior of any style, but such models look particularly advantageous in rooms with an oriental design;
- ergonomic products due to the fact that it has a flat surface without seams and joints, than ordinary corner and single sofas cannot boast;
- universality of application - a narrow or wide sofa without a back can be successfully used both in the bedroom or living room, and in the children's room and in the kitchen;
- practicality - the lack of armrests and a massive backrest contributes to significant savings in usable space.
The couch with a berth and pillows can have the following varieties:
- Folding. It is equipped with a durable working mechanism, a comfortable leisure surface and an impressive laundry storage box. The ottoman with a lifting mechanism is functional and practical.
- Corner. This type of ottoman frees up the useful part of the room and occupies non-functional angles. This piece of furniture is usually equipped with a comfortable back, which provides a more comfortable use and prevents rubbing the wall. When folding the corner sofa ottoman takes on an impressive size and can accommodate two people.
- Rolling out. The design includes a withdrawable mechanism. For the organization of sleeping space, you only need to roll out the bed to the outside. This is the most durable design. The main thing - the presence of soft rollers that will not scratch the surface of the floor.
- Children's sofa-couch. Such furniture can be made in the form of a large toy. It can cause the delight of kids. However, it should be borne in mind that children grow quickly, so soon it will be necessary to purchase a more serious model for teenagers. Great attention should be paid to manufacturing materials, they should be safe and not cause allergies.
- For kitchen. The size of many apartments does not allow each room to take its role, so you have to make the premises multifunctional. In the kitchen, an ordinary bed is not convenient to use, so a folding ottoman without armrests comes to the rescue here.
- From solid wood. For the production of such furniture, you can use laminated chipboard with a maple, beech or cherry finish, and for the more expensive options you can buy birch or Karelian pine arrays. This ottoman smells like wood and provides a healthy sleep.
The ottoman can be with armrests and without them. The height of the backrest varies depending on the size of the furniture. Classic compact sofas with a sleeping place and pillows are equipped with a low small back. Modern double models have full-sized headboards.
An ottoman with a lifting mechanism can last for a long time. Unlike an inexpensive spring design, it can withstand heavy loads. Gas shock absorber allows you to withstand a weight of 70 kg. The selection of shock absorbers is based on the weight of the mattress. Information about the possible maximum weight can be found in the instructions.
Single models can have two lifting options: horizontal and vertical (side). Double subjects of an interior rise only vertically.
The classic corner sofa ottoman has a length of up to 2 m and a width of up to 1.8 m. Depending on these parameters, there is a division into variations:
- single to 90 cm;
- one and a half to 1.5 m;
- double up to 1.8 m
Before purchasing, you need to decide: one or two people will be on upholstered furniture, a sofa will be placed. The best option for a small room will be an ottoman with a width of 1.2 meters. It is suitable for both one and two people. A huge advantage of this size is compactness and the ability to choose among two lifting mechanisms.
What can be the base and upholstery?
Comfortable sleep is impossible without a good basis of the ottoman. Here it is better to give preference to the lamellas curved upwards from the steamed beech veneer. They are movably fixed to the frame with a polymer or rubber.
The size of the lamella is optimal with parameters of 53 mm by 8 mm. A two-meter ottoman should have 20 lamellas with a distance of 5 cm between them. The main advantage of this base is that it is able to be actively ventilated and prevent the formation of mold.
When choosing an ottoman, you need to pay attention to the upholstery material. He is able to create comfortable conditions or deprive them. The quality of the material and tailoring affect durability. It is necessary to carefully inspect all the seams, everything should be stitched evenly without punctures and other defects. A dense and fade-resistant fabric will be suitable for frequent use. The luxurious look will create silk or durable leather with high-quality manufacture.
Caring for upholstery can bring a lot of trouble, a removable cover will help to avoid this. With it, the material of the ottoman will not suffer, and the surface can always be easily cleaned.
Selection of orthopedic mattress
To create comfortable conditions for the use of an ottoman, you can choose an orthopedic mattress. There are two choices: buy a ready-made model or make an order. It is much more practical to order a mattress in accordance with individual features and preferences.
Folding corner sofa ottoman in size and surface characteristics similar to the bed, it means that all types of mattresses are suitable here. Maximum comfort will bring a spring model that can adapt to all the features of the body. Before purchasing a product, you must consider the following features of future furniture owners:
- physiological parameters.
All of the above will help determine the optimum degree of rigidity. For children and adolescents during the formation of the skeleton, an orthopedic sofa-couch with a hard mattress is suitable. Older people will be more comfortable and healthier to sleep on a soft product. Patients with scoliosis need to choose the maximum degree of rigidity.
When buying a mattress separately from the ottoman, you need to pay attention to the selection of the appropriate size for the base. It is better to give preference to the polyurethane base of an orthopedic mattress. Today it is the most popular. The main indicator of this material is its density. The higher it is, the more expensive and better the folding sofa will be.
The most expensive and comfortable material for the mattress - natural latex. He has a number of positive qualities:
- repelling odor and moisture;
- excellent orthopedic properties.
Orthopedic latex mattress will be the key to a restful and relaxing sleep.
Fans of hard surfaces or those suffering from diseases of the back will suit the product with coconut coir fillers.
Ottoman selection tips
Prefer models with low legs. They increase storage space for laundry.
Make a choice taking into account the interior design, so that the sofa with pillows and a bed does not look indoors inappropriate. Choose options in which the frame and frame are made of high-quality wood with a thickness of more than 60 cm. This product will easily withstand the critical load. The volumetric ornament duplicated on the pillows visually protects the upholstery from stretching, which contributes to the long preservation of the original look.
Finally, directly in the store you need to comprehensively assess the external condition, all existing mechanisms and convenience. Pay attention to small details. Inaccurate tailoring, asymmetrical elements and other defects directly indicate the fragility of the sofa.