Old Soviet radiators have a rather long lifespan, and even when it ends, the radiators continue to fulfill their intended purpose quite well. The only unpleasant moment is a noticeably spoiled exterior that violates the overall concept of the interior. Recently, new radiators have undergone some transformations and acquired an improved look, focused on modern trends in the field of interior design. But not always new radiators fit harmoniously into the general form of repair.
In order to hide the batteries and get rid of the flaws in the decor of the dwelling, a unique and at the same time simple solution in the form of a screen (grid) to the battery was invented. They are made from different materials, different colors and shapes and perform several basic functions.
Functional purpose of the screen on the battery
Screens, regardless of their material, are an excellent solution to several tasks:
- Protection. Radiators, whether old or new, are dangerous to the health of residents. It is possible to burn the skin from the heated surface of the batteries, and protruding parts, when striking them, can cause mechanical damage. Radiators are especially dangerous in this regard for children. Different types of screens for radiators reliably perform the protective functions of the health of adults and children.
- Hygienic cleanliness. The complex form of batteries in the form of an accordion has always served as a hard-to-reach spot where dust and dirt collect. Cleaning near radiators brings a lot of negative emotions, so the screen, protecting the battery from dust particles, will help facilitate the process.
- Improved convection qualities of radiators. Due to the fact that in many screens designed for heating systems, there are cuts, additional spaces and specially provided elements, it is possible to increase the overall convection of radiators. Often in the gap between the battery and the wall have a reflective screen, and when heated, it increases heat transfer.
- Decorative solutions. The most common screens for the heating system are installed in order to harmonize it with the interior. To hide the radiator and add the missing elements to the décor, the grilles choose a non-standard look. Today, there are an infinite number of options for the execution of screens for radiators that differ in material, shape, decor and design, so there will be no problems with the choice.
Classification of protective structures
As already stated above, there are currently very many variations of protective designs for batteries. They can differ in material, method of installation and technical performance. If we talk about the material from which to produce protective structures, the most common screens are:
- metal (most suitable for thermal indicators will be bronze, copper, aluminum and steel)
- wood (usually valuable species)
- from MDF, HDF
It is accepted to use only the material that meets the requirements of GOST, otherwise harmful fumes will harm the health of residents.
Execution and installation of screens
All screens for radiators are classified according to the method of execution:
- hinged design without a cover, it is installed if the radiator is located in a recess below the window.
- hinged design with a cover is needed if the battery is protruding.
- Flat protections are required in case the battery is hidden in the niche.
- screen-box set when hide is required not only the radiator, but also all related communications.
Protective structures differ not only in the form of execution, but also in the method of installation. Often sell ready-made screens-boxes, which are worn on the heating device. In order to protect small children, such boxes are firmly fixed, preferably to the wall, in order to prevent contact with the heated element. Usually, wooden structures of protection are fixed against walls, floor, but at the same time they leave access to the battery through opening or removable grids.
Advantages of types of protective structures
Screens made from different materials have pros and cons, knowing that it will be easier to make a choice.
If the protective design for heating devices is made of metal, then it has several advantages. The main advantage of such screens is their thermal conductivity. Since the metal is a good conductor of thermal energy, the convection characteristics of the radiator itself will not be disturbed. Such structures have a long service life. The disadvantage of metal screens is the cost, which is an order of magnitude higher than others, it can increase depending on the size and decorative designs. Screens are ideally compatible with aluminum, cast iron, bimetallic radiators and significantly improve their thermal performance.
The wooden massif is a universal material that is amenable to any kind of processing, which makes it possible to embody even the most incredible designs and turn the protective screen into an interior item with carved patterns. Environmental friendliness of the selected material is also important, especially for the house where there are small children. If you choose a screen box from a wooden array, you can forget about changing it for a long time, because such protection is durable and reliable.
HDF and MDF screens
A very nice advantage of screens from MDF and HDF is the price. In addition, the material is very well treatable, which helps to realize the most daring ideas of the interior. Unlike wood, this material is not afraid of cracking. Quite often make carved, openwork and patterned screens.
Such protective structures have only one plus - this is the price. In fact, they emit harmful substances when heated, so most often such screens are used in offices, industrial premises and warehouses.
Good glass screens for batteries of at least 8 mm are expensive. The most used options are flat glass constructions together with a wooden massif. Often choose from two options: screens made of glass with a pattern or backlight.
When choosing a screen for a radiator, one should be guided not only by decorative criteria, but also by functionality. The box options are quite a lot, ranging from carved wooden and ending with minimalist metal. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, but they all play the same role: they protect the coolant from dust and dirt, do not interfere with convection, prevent harm to the health of residents and transform the interior.
In the process of installing the screen, it should be remembered that the correct and high-quality work of the heater itself will depend on the correct position. Therefore, in order to exclude a violation of the convection process, it is necessary to provide for the possibility of free air movement. Do not forget about the need for a reflective screen that will avoid unwanted heat loss.